John Stansbury in the news...:) way to go!

John Stansbury in the news...:) way to go!

Roy k.Aubol

Re: John Stansbury in the news...:) way to go!

sportpop
Roy, I just joined the forum and saw your posts.  Maybe you can help me identify the Dynacycle that I owned over 60 years ago. When I was 13 in the early 50's, a family from Chicago moved in next door to us in Florida. One day, the neighbor brought out an odd looking bicycle from his garage and started it up and took off. I was familiar with Whizzers, but I had never seen anything like this. When he returned about 30 minutes later, I went over and asked him what it was and he said a Dynacycle. He purchased it while they lived in Chicago in 1949.  It was in very good shape and he said that he had only rode it about 10 times and this was early 1953. Well, after that I dreamed and thought about the bike all of the time. One day, I came out and asked him if he wanted to sell it. He said let me think about it and he would get back to me. A couple of days later, he said that he would sell it to me, as he needed more room in his garage. He said that he needed $75 for the bike as he paid over $200 and that was in the 40's, not real cheap. Well, I borrowed the money from my parents and as I was turning 14 in a few weeks, I could ride the bike. Looking at the bikes that are on the website and forum, I did not see mine. Mine, I guess was a girl's bike, but I didn't think about that at the time. It was a Schwinn bike with white and blue accents and seemed to be heavy duty compared to bikes shown on the forum,but not fancy, just a Schwinn bike with a motor.  It also had a real large seat and was very comfortable.  It was a real fast bike, especially if you compared it to a Whizzer. However, it did vibrate a lot and I had trouble keeping the gas tank secured, as it was held on the motor by on screw on top of the tank that would keep coming loose. It would do 45 mph, as I had it checked out by a friend with a motorcycle. On that bike, 45 felt fast, almost too fast at times. Also, the kick starter was not very sturdy and started to wear, so it was tough trying to start it at times, as it was hard to engage. About 8 months later, it became hard to start and it appeared to be the carb, so tried to find one, but had no luck in Florida and even then parts were hard to find. Well, I mentioned it to a guy at high school and told him that it was really fast, but needed some carb work. I believe that I used the wrong oil to mix with gas and it clogged up the carb. He said that his dad was a mechanic and could fix it. By that time, I had lost interest in the bike and was looking at getting a motorcycle. So, I sold it for $50.  Well, his dad took the engine off the bike and rebuilt the carb with other parts.  He also bored out the jets, so it could get more gas and he also did some other performance work to it. One day at school, the guy said you have to come over to my house and drive the bike, as it is incredible. Well, I came over and tried out the bike and the performance was incredible. He said that they had clocked it at 56 MPH and it felt a lot faster than that. About a week later, the guy did not show up at school and I said has anyone seen him and they said, didn't you hear he had a bad bike accident. Well, then, I went over to his house and his mother said that he was going too fast around a corner on the bike and ran into a ditch at about 50 MPH and totaled the bike and broke his collarbone and right leg with a number of scrapes and bruises, especially on his face and neck. The doctor said that he was lucky he wasn't killed. So, 45 was safe maximun limit on that bike, as the control of the handlebars became difficult, even at that speed and 50+ was an accident waiting to happen.  But, at 14, safety was not taken into consideration and helmets were non-existent. I still have fond memories of that bike, as it was my first one of many motorcycles later on. The website and forum brought back some great times, not much traffic in those days and people were a little more polite on the roads. Thanks, John Cook

Re: John Stansbury in the news...:) way to go!

Roy Aubol
Sorry, I have not replied earlier...Interesting story thanks for sharing! Sounds like a Dynacycle Kit put on a Bicycle that was available at the time. You would have to search 1950 girls bikes in google (click on Images) and see if you can find it..There are tons of pictures!

Roy

******Roy, this was not your usual girl's bicycle, as it was very heavy duty, frame and wheel spokes. It was too heavy to be a girl's bicycle, as my 12 year old sister at the time had a hard holding it up. Even the tires were not your usual bicycle equipment, as they looked more tires that you see on off road bikes today.  In thinking back, I am not sure now, if it may have been a 4 cycle and I was getting it mixed up with a 2 cycle that bought soon after I sold it. In any event, my neighbor purchased it at a bike dealership in Chicago in late 1949 and it was the only cycle that looked like this one. This is one of the reasons that he bought it, as it looked like it was a lot sturdier than some of the other Dynacycles.  Thanks, John**********

Sorry, I have not replied earlier...Interesting story thanks for sharing! Sounds like a Dynacycle Kit put on a Bicycle that was available at the time. You would have to search 1950 girls bikes in google (click on Images) and see if you can find it..There are tons of pictures!

Roy

http://dynacycle.2309269.n4.nabble.com/John-Stansbury-in-the-news-way-to-go-tp4639109p4639133.html
To unsubscribe from John Stansbury in the news...:) way to go!, click here.
NAML